jaininae: Teru Kurebayashi (Teru - u wanna go)
[personal profile] jaininae
I talked a little about The Ancient Magus Bride on tumblr, but was hesitant to mention that I was watching it on the heels of finishing Hazbin Hotel because, well, I sometimes get in my head about inviting controversy on tumblr mainly because a lot of the takes I think are pretty tame and normal are -- for some weird reason -- read as aligning myself with pedophiles or problematic people or otherwise just existing as the embodiment of A Bad Person. And both of these shows (Hazbin Hotel more than TAMB) have people who think like that about strangers online and I just. Want no part of that nonsense because I think it's silly to fixate on cartoons in this manner.

With Hazbin Hotel though, it really seems to me that the people who were creating steven-universe-critical blogs back in early 2010s have moved on to Hazbin Hotel. The dichonomy is fascinating to say the least. You've got a queer cartoon marketed towards children, and a queer cartoon marketed towards adults. Suffice to say, no one can win regardless of the subject matter.

Anyway I saw it, and as with TAMB I, once again, feel as though I've been lied to.

(Sidenote: Idk if I'll write about this on tumblr. TBD. But just a heads up I'll probably repeat some of the things I say here later on tumblr if I do.)

I'm largely ignorant of the discourse on this show outside of ( 1 ) opinion I encountered while searching through -- of all things lmao -- the "anti chappell roan" tag. Someone remarked that Viziepop "wishes she could write as well as X" with X being a thing I can't remember (and not the renamed twitter seriously fuck you elon musk).

I disagree with this take in that I disagree with the implication that Viziepop is a bad writer. Hazbin Hotel isn't badly written, but the flaws in its writing is due to the fact that these are 20 minute episodes in an 8 episode run of a single season. 8 episodes. 20 minutes. What the fuck do you mean you think she's a bad writer when you're given that many episodes to work on something?

Like it would be one thing if you said "Maybe she could've reduced the number of characters in the show as a number of them are superfluous" and that would be fair imo because there are some characters that show up that simply do not need to be there. But at the same time, I see the vision and understand why she would be reluctant to remove those characters. So it's kind of whatever to me.

If anything I am actually extremely hung up on the fact that they were only given 8 episodes to work on this show, and yet it's wildly successful? Like shouldn't people be happy that an indie title got wildly popular? This has over an 80 from critics and users on Rotten Tomatoes. That's crazy, man. But it also tells me that audiences want something different. If I were to speculate, this type of adult media just doesn't exist for some reason. You have things like Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty, but you don't have an adult cartoon with showtunes. Imo that's pretty dang awesome.

But yeah, in conclusion: while I understand on paper why fandom is weird about this show, I don't get it lol. Like I didn't understand the vitriol around Steven Universe despite reading (and reblogging) analysis as to why the fandom was so toxic, and despite being able to explain in detail what would motivate someone to create a steven-universe-critical blog. But I'm also like lol idgi sorry im a dumb bitch who likes enjoying things.

Profile

jaininae: (Default)
theharlotofferelden

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9 101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Style Credit

  • Style: Persephone for Ciel by nornoriel

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 28th, 2026 06:22 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios